Here's what i found, explained in simple straight forward words..
"When you're pregnant, hormonal changes can make your cells less responsive to insulin. For most moms-to-be, this isn't a problem: When the body needs additional insulin, the pancreas dutifully secretes more of it. But if your pancreas can't keep up with the increased insulin demand during pregnancy, your blood glucose levels rise too high, resulting in gestational diabetes.
Most women with gestational diabetes don't remain diabetic after the baby is born. Once you've had gestational diabetes, though, you're at higher risk for getting it again during a future pregnancy and for developing diabetes later in life."
Boy oh boy...
And let's look at who has the highest risk for getting it?
How can I tell whether I'm at high risk for gestational diabetes?
You're considered at high risk for this condition (and should be screened early) if:
1. You're obese (your body mass index is over 30). My BMI was 22.4!
2.You've had gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy. I didnt know this, never tested for GD during previous pregnancies..
3. You have sugar in your urine. Nope!
4. You have a strong family history of diabetes. I dont think so..
5. You've previously given birth to a big baby. (>4 kilos) Nope!
6. You've had an unexplained stillbirth. Nope!
7. You've had a baby with a birth defect. Nope!
8. You have high blood pressure. Ahhh... Yes!
9. You're over 35. Not yet! In April! Huaaaaa
So for now till delivery, i really have to watch my diet.. eating less calories, starchy food, sugar, carbs.. I am scheduled to see a dietition next week, when i'll ask him/her every question i have in my head right now! I'm even afraid to eat my nasi lemak this morning thinking, will this convert to sugar and harm my baby? Adoi....
Haha... sempat lagi.. anyway, this is the marble cake i mentioned in my earlier post... sold at 7E... look for it, it's only rm1.50 per slice, but IT'S GOOOOOD!
Chiow, i'm hibernating.